01 August 2007

Mohos, Mohomies, Mohoochies, Oh My!

Talking with a moho friend not long ago, I heard that another moho friend of mine has been using a moho term in a way I had not intended, and now I'm beginning to wonder if he's on to something here. So I'm turning to you, the blogging community, for a little input.

OK, most of us know a moho is someone who is LDS and gay who generally considers their spiritual/religious identity to be more significant in determining their decisions than their sexual orientation. Basically, that's it in a nutshell, if you ask me, which you probably should.

The state or condition of being a moho could be called mohoness. The ever-growing community of mohos, along with our little subculture, can be called mohodom. You get the picture.

One of my moho friends, after enthusiastically adopting this term, extended it some, and he started calling his supportive but "non-challenged" female friends "mohoochies", which they accepted as a term of endearment, as it was intended, of course. Which is good. Nobody wants to upset a mohoochie.

Then he apparently started using the term "mohomies" for hetero guys who are understanding and supportive. I've always used the term just to refer to my moho buddies, but now I'm beginning to wonder...I think both deserve some sort of title, but I'm a little torn regarding to which group I should apply the "mohomie" label. Of course, if the definition of "mohomie" is changed, I may have to rename my blogging identity, but I am willing to make sacrifices for the greater good of mohodom, should there be a consensus to push for it.

And is there an alternative to "mohoochies"? Something... prettier? Kind of like the difference between "fag hag" and "fruit fly"?

Are there any other terms floating around out there you'd like to share with me? I'm all ears. ...eyes. ...whatever.

9 comments:

Max Power said...

Wouldn't "mohoney" be better than "mohoochie"?

Max Power said...

How about "mohosers"?

Craig said...

I think labels are dumb.

Do really need to have such specific, narrow and exclusivist labels for people?

I don't think it's a good idea.

Greg D said...

What about mohomie (mohomey) for the mohos and homoho for the friends. Like honorary moho - 'ho' moho. Too far? - perhaps.

Kengo Biddles said...

I call them Graces, personally...and for the guys? Well, I don't know that many straight guys that willingly choose to hang out with us mohos, even though I'm sure, given our apparently statistically large numbers here in happy valley, there is some mixed gender male hanging out going on, without their knowing.

And how was that for an awkward sentence that I'm not going to resolve?

Original Mohomie said...

Thanks, Max! I totally forgot about mohoneys!! How could I forget that? I like it much better.

lol, mohosers?

iWonder...we label people because it's fun. Nevertheless, You Are Special just the way you are, so don't let the grey circles and gold stars stick, Puchicanello.

I'm going to have to nix homoho. *shudder*

Kengo, ...Graces? Oh, wow I need gay time out because I didn't get that until just now.

Stephalumpagus said...

As an actual member of this group to which these labels will apply--that is, I am a straight girl that is friends with a lot of mohos--I'm already pretty happy with the term "fruit fly." Mohoney sounds...like I'm frolicking through a meadow gathering flowers for my mohos...It sort of makes me want to vomit. But I suppose it's better than homoho or mohoochie or mohoser...I don't know. I think you all are trying too hard. For the record, I think I'll stick with fruit fly.

Tara said...

From my perspective, "Mohoney" could probably work; I generally prefer the "Grace" term myself.
But Mohoochie? No good. Sorry, but it makes us "family friendly" gals sound like a very unique band of street walkers...

Original Mohomie said...

I love the street walkers comment. When my buddy first used "mohoochies", my jaw dropped, and I said something like, "What did you call them? Is that supposed to be friendly?" He insisted it was, but I've never used the term personally. I don't really use a term for our family-friendly girl friends, but I do like mohoneys. Or fruit flies.

Steph--thanks for the frolicking image. That was entertaining.