20 February 2008

The Big Spoon

It's an elegant term, "spooning". The gentle, intimate connection between two spoons nestled neatly aginst each other is a perfect reference for the same comforting behavior between two people showing mutual affection. Regarding spooning, I have a question which may be relevant here: do you prefer to be the big spoon or the little spoon?

For my part, I prefer being the big spoon. In almost all cases. And I'm a relatively little guy, so this can pose logistical challenges. Being the big spoon to a considerably more girthy person can be slightly awkward, but these things can be worked through.

It seems like men are usually big spoons and women little spoons, but it seems like most gay males with whom I've discussed this prefer being the little spoon. I don't. Does that make me less gay? I mean, I could enjoy it enough at times, and maybe it depends on the person and the relationship, but I prefer either to have someone cuddled up against my side, arm resting on me (incidentally, this is quite a nice positioning, allowing for face-to-face conversation but maintaining nice, intimate contact), or to have them as the little spoon. I think I prefer holding over being held. Don't judge me.

Do the spoon roles reflect subjugation and dominance? Trust and protection? Maybe I should take a survey. Find out if there's a statistical correlation between gender, sexual orientation, and spooning preference. There's some splendid research to be done here. If only I could find funding.



Note: I'd just like to report that I found the spoon image on, coincidentally, the blog of a gay guy in Vegas who, coincidentally, talks about being the small spoon. I tell you, I'm an oddball among homos.




Note: click on the "Spooning" label below for more spoony wisdom.

16 comments:

Post-It Boy said...

Oh, how I love your topics. I wish my blog was half as entertaining.

I guess I am "versatile" with my position in the spoon combo. I actually think its best to be with someone that you can swap being the big and little spoon with. Thats why you need to find someone about the same size.

Oh... I'll be your little spoon anytime... ;)

Abelard Enigma said...

I'll have to confess that I had to google 'spooning' to make sure I even knew what was being discussed here.

You young MoHo's do make life interesting :)

Tara said...

As a heterosexual female, I'll go Little Spoon every time. And I must say...this topic is delightful. You make me beam :D

Kengo Biddles said...

I'm a little spoon and Miki's a big spoon. She's mostly a big spoon because she's too fidgety to be the small spoon.

I genuinely like being the small spoon. I don't know that you're weird, O-Mo. I think you're one of those people that balance out small spooners like me.

If we were all small spooners, it would make things quite awkward and unfulfilling.

Blueyedane said...

Ha ha! Well now... I didn't know that . hmm... I wonder what I would prefer if I were into that. Honestly though I think regardless I would have to be the big spoon just because It would be odd for me to be the little spoon.

Anonymous said...

abelard... spooning is not a new term by any means. I learned a song popular in the late 1800's-early 1900's... "By the Light, of the silvery Moon/I want to spoon/With my honey I'll Croon Love's Tune..."

I, as a hetero. femaile, like both ways, even when the man is bigger. Curling in tight behind can be comforting. Being held is also wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Should I say, "I spoon both ways..."

Craig said...

Yeah, I'm versatile too. I suppose it depends on my mood.

Max Power said...

I am what some would call "ambispoondrous". I can spoon both ways and completely enjoy it. Sometimes I even like to knife or fork.

Original Mohomie said...

How do you feel about sporking?

Blueyedane said...

Could someone explain sporking again? I am not sure I want to look it up on google. :-)

Max Power said...

Sporking is pretty good, but if you want to go for exotic utinseling I will recommend chop-sticking. Chop-sticking is difficult to get the hang of, but once you do you don't really want to go back to sporking.

Anonymous said...

I like "ambispoondrous", but I think "bispoonal" is easier to spell :)
I'd have to gauge myself as bispoonal with a leaning towards the little spoon. I think I'll steer clear of the more exotic utensiling - afraid I might contract some UTD... ;)

Saint Job said...

LOL. this post made me smile.

Original Mohomie said...

Chop-sticking? Um.....

Unknown said...

I prefer to be the little spoon. As a rather large and ungainly woman it makes me feel dainty and protected to have a big spoon at my back.