02 February 2008

Goodbye, Ol' Chap

I just watched Gordon B. Hinckley's funeral service, broadcast from the Conference Center in Salt Lake City, and at the end, I was touched by the image of his family and his brethren in the church's leadership lining the exit as his casket was quietly wheeled out to the peaceful tune of "God Be With You Til We Meet Again". I wept as I watched him exit, one last time, from that building in which I have, many times, seen him speak with such love, sincerity, and plainness and then humbly and spunkily walk out, waving his cane, maybe tapping someone here and there. Then I smiled through the tears at the thought that maybe he was, in spirit, joining his family and friends in the Conference Center, lined up for his body's exit, and that maybe, with a charming gleam in his eye, he tapped his spiritual cane on his casket as it passed by and said some clever quip.

I'm going to miss him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I nearly cried during some of it... esepcially when they showed the clips of him around the world during the last musical number.

I think what I admired most about President Hinckley was his optimism... he was always happy and willing to serve. I didn't even realize this till now... and I wish I could be more like him.

Post-It Boy said...

I get sad thinking about him dying too. He was the prophet for nearly half of my life.

I like to think he was there and trying to usher people outside since he wasn't a big fan of public attention. And Marjorie, of course, was there too.