20 March 2010

His Interest Is In Girls

So, there's a certain adorable "Idol" winner whose name I'm not going to mention because I don't want the random Google guests stumbling into my neck of the blogosphere in search of gossip about whether he likes boys. I think he seems like a good kid, and I also think younger guys shouldn't be hounded about their sexuality, though it is natural for people to be curious. As I was tonight. I wanted to see what people were saying about him, so I searched. I know, I should be ashamed of myself, seeking out the gossip I find distasteful. I slapped myself on the wrist before clicking further. I found several references to an answer he apparently gave a Malaysian interviewer when asked about the gay rumors, which people are quoting as "proof" that he's not gay:




I have to say that is some really smooth wording, really well executed! I wonder if he was coached on that response? Whether he's hetero and was trying not to sound like he was disgusted by the suggestion, or whether he's homo and was playing a mental slight of hand, it was well fielded and focused.

It took me back to when I found ways to answer such questions in honest but "directed" ways, to satisfy curiosity and thereby evade further questioning while directing attention to what I believed was most important in the answer. Some would say I'm just trying to make everyone gay in even thinking such a "clear" answer as "my interest is in girls" could mean anything except that he's straight, but I suspect those are mostly people who don't know, firsthand, the workings of the mind of a young guy whose beliefs conflict with his attractions. "My interest is in girls," to such a young man, does not mean, "I'm primarily sexually and romantically attracted to females and don't experience homosexual inclinations." It's a declaration of what one wants in life, regardless of sexual orientation. It's a statement that regardless of whether guys are more attractive, a gay relationship is not the goal but rather a relationship with a wife and children. And it's a lot easier than trying to explain, to a casual, pop-culture, worldwide audience, that you're gay in the sense that you're attracted to members of the same sex but not gay in the sense that you seek out same-sex relationships and that what you hope for is to find a girl you can marry despite this inherent challenge in such a hypothetical relationship...

But who knows? Maybe he meant, "No, I'm not gay," or, "I'm attracted to girls and not guys." Whatever he really meant by it, his response seems to have put many fans at ease to finally have some kind of definitive answer from him, even while some will simply believe what they want regardless of what he says. The kid's really young, and he has a lot to experience and figure out, and he should be allowed to do that without everyone trying to shove him into a box or mold to fit their paradigms and defend their egos. ...but I still think of him as the world's most-loved moho. Is that wrong of me? ;-)

5 comments:

Bravone said...

Who's to say your wrong thinking what you do? My youngest son has spent a fair amount of time with him on a couple of occasions. One of David's friends in his ward was my son's roommate at EFY a few years ago, so when David comes to IF or RX, my son gets a back stage pass and hangs out with him after the concert. The only things he has ever said about him is that he cool, a really nice guy and humble for all the attention he gets. Hmmm, come to think about it, sounds kind of gay to me :)

Unknown said...

You know I also find it said that people have to be asked about their sexuality. I get angered when gay gossip queens (Perez) try to out people who are not gay at all. Its almost as if he is searching for someone to point to who is popular and gay to justify his own twisted world. (sorry for the rant).

I have heard that a lot of actors won't directly answer the gay question, because if they say, "sorry I'm straight," they alienate gay fans, or even gain the label homophob. Its really sad but true.

Original Mohomie said...

Ha, are you mocking me, Bravone? You're mocking me...

Quinn, I hear ya.

Adam said...

I had to check out some of the other videos while I was at it. I forgot how cute Cook and Archie were together!

Unknown said...

I know a close source (although not as close as Bravone)who hasn't really determined anything concerning his orientation.

Even with his comment on this video though, I still feel there is a strong chance that he plays for our team. When you wonder around the gay Mormon neighborhood, you see all sorts of excuses, denial, etc. I have plenty of gay Mormon friends on Facebook who have their interest setting to "women."

In the end though, I don't really think too much about Archie. I'll let him determine what makes him happy.