OK, if you've ever looked at your "soft male" co-worker and thought, "He's either gay or mormon," this is for you. I expect a little group participation here, because I am only one man with a limited perspective. I also am not adept, yet, at singling out female mohos, so I must speak from a male perspective. Now, you've got the stereotypes everyone already knows that indicate a fair degree of homoness (e.g. he has every Christina Aguilera album, or he is far too well dressed to even pass it off as "metrosexual", or he seems undaunted by ample cleavage bursting from a V-cut but loses all power of speech when the ripped, scantily-clad stud approaches at the pool party...yeah),...
Oh, sorry, I just lost all power of speech at the very thought. What I'm hoping is to make a list of some lesser-known, perhaps more subtle signs you may start noticing once made aware. This is to help family and friends "get a clue" to soften the blow when they are finally confronted with the fact that their good mormon boy thinks guys are sexy and would probably date and marry one if it were allowed:
1) A lot of nice girls want his attention because he's such a "nice guy" and "respects girls" and is "such a good priesthood holder", but they can't seem to turn his head no matter how they try.
2) He introduced you to the magic of musicals way back in junior high.
3) He's in his late twenties, fairly good-looking, good personality, has steadily dated only three or fewer girls, and you can't figure out why he's not married or even dating.
4) You're one of the few girls who have dated him, and he breaks it off with some vague reference about not knowing if he'll ever find a girl he's attracted to the way he "should be"...you may try to come up with various explanations for that, but come on.
5) He gives cute, creative, crafty gifts to all of his friends each holiday.
6) He is the fastest, most meticulously artful little gift-wrapper Deseret Book has ever hired.
7) He starred in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in middle school and loved every minute of it.
8) When he refers to the type of "person" he's attracted to, pay attention to whether he EVER indicates a gender. Just a thought.
9) He does a double-take when an attractive male enters the room. SERIOUSLY, folks, we do this ALL THE TIME, and nobody seems willing to realize it.
10) He idolizes Emma Smith. ...and the BYU Men's Chorus. ...and Mindy Gledhill. *wink*
11) He wears women's jeans. COME ON, people! (Note to friends who wear women's jeans: I hope you can forgive me for this one)
12) He randomly bursts out exuberantly into "You're gonna be popular", particularly the "La La" part.
13) Banana Republic, Diesel, 2(x)ist...these are all warning signs.
14) He owns International Male and Abercrombie catalogs, yet he never buys anything from them...He owns copies of Exercise (for Men Only) and GQ, yet you never see him reading them...or exercising...
15) Watch his eyes during a kissing or love scene--is he even noticing there's a woman there?
16) When introduced to people, he always connects with the good-looking guy first.
I could keep going and may revise it later, but I think I'll stop here and leave the rest to anyone who may wish to add to the list, including our female counterparts out there who can enlighten us.